Positive
Comment 1: “the Internet is part of our everyday life”
for the reason that “we do the same in the Internet as in real life, probably
in a [...] more efficient, faster [and] cheaper [way].”
I agree with this statement.
Everything works quickly on the internet except for when your connection is
slow. Physically it takes time and there are a million and one factors that
play into the process of doing things. The internet is at your fingers and
makes it easier to multi task. Also paying bills online or wiring someone money
is super cheap. I save so much on fees that I would occur just going to an ATM
or I save time that I wouldn’t have had if I had to go to the bank.
Comment 2: “…the main use of social networking sites
is interaction and communicating with others. We use them to keep up to date
and in touch with existing friends and relations, or to create new
relationships.”
Keeping in touch with people
I cannot see every day is one of my main reasons for logging on the computer
every day. Social Networks make it so easy to be part of someone’s life without
physically being there. I personally go to school 8 hours away from my hometown
and my friends and families post on facebook helps me stay connected with them.
Also when I meet new people social networks help me keep in touch with them and
keep a lasting bond with them.
Comment 3:” Social networking sites also offer the
chance of communication in cases where mobility is often a hindrance to social
interaction.”
Social Networking sites are definitely a great way to interact
when physical interaction is next to impossible. The article went on to talk
about the elderly. There has been a big trend of the 40+ crowd having various
social networking accounts. My grandparents have facebook accounts that they
are very active on. My grandparents are old but I do not consider them elderly
because they can still get around but I cannot see them every day. So I think social
networks definitely keep me in touch with them.
Negative
Comment 1: “the social networking sites
can target advertisements specifically to you, a service for which advertisers
are willing to pay significant amounts of money.”
I don’t think that using the “people to product” method is a
bad thing. Websites have to make money some type of way. I actually think that
this is an ingenious idea because your offering a wonderful service for free
and having advertisers pay you to do this. People can debate about whether
advertisements mess with your psyche by using subliminal messages to “make” you
buy the product but I don’t see anything wrong with it. If there were no
advertisements how would people know about the products they need or want. It’s
a cycle that has to continue because without the advertisements being placed
simultaneously in places people can see them then there will be no products to
buy.
Comment 2: “Using the
algorithm, researchers were able to infer many personal traits merely from
friend lists, including educational level, university attended, hometown and
other private data.”
I think that whatever one puts on one’s page is open to whoever
they would like to see it. People should know that once something is online it
is open to whoever can see it. I disagree with this statement because by
looking at someone’s friends you may have little insight as to who they are but
you still won’t know what they wrote on their page 2 hours ago. Also using this
“algorithm” gives a basic scientific/mathematic insight into their personality.
A person could have a bunch of scientist as friends but they could hate science
and have a passion for photography.
Comment 3: “Encouraging
poor grammar, usage, and spelling”
I think that Social Networks does encourage poor grammar etc…
but I also think that it is an appropriate place to use it. Social Networking
sites are not scholastic or professional. I think there is no reason to blame
social networks for people’s choice to use shorthand and poor grammar outside
of social networks.
The Internet makes everything that much easier and faster. Paying bills or sending people money has come a long way. You use to have to write a check or write a money order to do these things but now all you have to do is a click a couple buttons and your bills are paid or your parent’s hours away can send you money. Social Networking is a great way to communicate with the people you don’t get to see that often. Because of social networks you can talk to almost anyone you want, anytime you want, from anywhere in the world.
ReplyDeletePeople don’t get the whole truth when looking at some ones profile. Just because someone has a certain type of friends or has a certain number of friends doesn’t really tell you that much about them. Like you stated you could have a bunch of friends who are scientist but that doesn’t necessarily mean you have the same passion for science that they do.
Your right that it is the person’s choice to use slang, shorthand and poor grammar on social networks but that does carry over to other communication. People are on social networks so much that they have a hard time remembering that they are writing a paper for class and not talking to their friend on Facebook or Twitter.
I do not agree with the first statement in the positives section, although there are many things we can do easily and cheaper on the internet, in no way is it the same as real life. People do things on the Internet that they would never do in real life. However Kia backs up her reason for agreeing with the statement by stating examples of things made easier in her everyday life that’s to the World Wide Web. I agree that social networking creates an easy bond between people and their loved ones who may live far from each other. The fact that Kias grandparents and her stay in touch through facebook is awesome.
ReplyDeleteIn the negatives of social networking portion Kia said she thought that using ad space on facebook was a good idea. I agree with that, it is a quick easy way for word to spread, which is what social media is good for. When she gave the example about the scientist and the photographer, I was a little confused but she was correctly stating that people should be aware of what they post online because once its out there, its out there. I 100 % agree with Kias last statement, on the proper grammar and spelling use. The language used on the Internet even has its own name. “Leet Speak” is shorthand, slang of the English language, which is most common. Social networking is not meant to be scholastic, so I see nothing wrong with improper spelling and use of grammar as long as someone can see the difference.